Advanced Biosafety Training Series
The Advanced Biosafety Training Series is an intermediate to advanced, self-paced online offering, designed for those studying for the National Registry of Certified Microbiologists (NRCM) Specialist Microbiologist in Biological Safety exam, as well as those biological safety professionals who are interested in advanced training.
ABSA Learning Verification Opportunities
The Certification Maintenance Board has pre-approved the use of various ABSA publications as a means of acquiring credentialing maintenance points for the completion of a quiz. These are online educational opportunities that can be accessed via your computer at your leisure.
For information about eligibility, exam content, pass rate, practice questions, and test can be found at http://www.asm.org/nrcm. The application deadline is February 1. The exam is administered throughout the month of April at testing centers around the world.
CDC/MMWR Continuing Education Courses
The Certification Maintenance Board has pre-approved several CDC/MMWR Continuing Education Courses. These are free, on-line education courses that can be accessed via your computer at your leisure. These courses are biosafety-related, and approved for Certification Maintenance (CM) points. Additional biosafety related courses will be added as they are approved by the Board.
- ABSA members who want to get CM credit for taking courses must register on the MMWR Continuing Education site: http://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline
- Log on through Participant Login https://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline/logn.asp or if you have not previously registered, as a New Participant https://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline/newmember.asp
- Once you log on, you should go to “Online Search”, then hit Option #2 (Keyword Search). Enter the course ID number or keyword from the list below, and register for the course. If the course you are interested in does not show up, click on the CDC Courses link http://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline/SearchPageCDCCourses.asp . Enter “PHGR10” in the input box for a full list of courses.
- When you finish the course, there is a quiz (which you must pass) and a certificate. You will be tracking CM points (listed on chart), not CEUs.
- Keep the certificates for verification, in case you are chosen at random to be audited by the Certification Maintenance Board. If you need to reprint the certificate, the CDC Continuing Education website tracks the courses you have taken and passed.
- If you have taken a biosafety related course that is not listed below, please complete an Application for Credentialing Maintenance Credit(MS Word 112KB).
The University of Massachusetts is now offering a unique 12 credit (4 course) Online Graduate Certificate in Laboratory and Biological Safety designed to introduce the principles of identification, evaluation and control of biological and laboratory hazards. This program is geared toward scientists responsible for biological and/or laboratory safety, practicing occupational and environmental hygienists or biosafety officers and those interested in embarking upon a career in biological and/or laboratory safety.
Online Courses available (as part of the certificate or standalone registration):
- 19.508 Principles and Practices of Biological Safety (Required for Certificate)
- 19.516 Laboratory Environmental Health and Safety (Required for Certificate)
- 36.580 Clinical Applications of Molecular Genetics (An Elective for Certificate)